Monday, April 6, 2009

Focus on the good.



I have this friend who is utterly, incessantly, obnoxiously positive. Just to be clear, I am a very positive person. But this friend, he can take virtually any situation and pull something positive out of it. I mean, when I told said friend of my impending divorce and how my ex had cheated and what a bastard, etc., my friend actually had me relating to my ex! By the end of our conversation, I was actually forgiving the cheating ex-husband and thinking of how our separation was a blessing in disguise. (Of course, this friend was and probably is right but as a newly cheated on divorcee, sometimes you just want to bitch and wallow, right? Over time, I have learned not to go to him for one of my whiny, I-just-want-you-to-listen-and-agree conversations. I rely on my other, more melodramatic friends for those times. :) )

I came across this quote and instantly thought of my friend and instantly felt grateful to have him in my life. Because he and the anonymous quote-sayer are right: life is way too short to be anything less than happy. And when you surround yourself with people, books, movies, food and other things that make you undeniably happy, it is much harder to focus on the bad in your life. If there is one thing that I have learned in life, it's that laughter truly is the best medicine. And knowing someone with whom you can regularly share a gut-busting, tear-inducing, whole-hearted laugh is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment