Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brown Cookware

You picked out new cookware,
Pots, pans, kettles, casseroles.
All the best brands because
You’ve never settled, have you?
I think brown is a dumb color
For cookware but I’m not sharing it.
You don’t need plates though
Because you’re using ours.
Pass me the butter dish, darling.
Yes, that’s right, the one that used to be hers.
I like my butter dirty and used.

I wonder if you ever get confused,
Lie in bed and think about
Which face you’re going to wake up to;
Mine that greeted you for nearly a decade,
Or hers, just dying to paint just the right
Expression for you.
I bet she sleeps in her makeup.
You got a cat and cats are stupid.
You strum along to Zeppelin and she hums too,
Not knowing that you learned
Over the Hills and Far Away for me
And that the first time you played it through
We cried like children.

Your jeans with holes,
Your leftover crust,
Your falling out hair and
Your inability to spell reminisce.
These are all hers now and
Thank god.
You were terrible at remembering
When to take out the garbage and
She seems just the type to help you out.

1 comment: